Since last January, I’ve been doing something rather alternative with my hair. Since many people comment on the way my hair looks these days, I thought I would share the five things I DO with my hair.
1. I wash my hair with *conditioner only. I haven’t used shampoo on my hair for over 9 months now. I feel that the conditioner totally cleans my hair. It is left feeling soft and the lack of shampoo has really changed my curls. They are better now, and my hair is more malleable; all I have to do is twirl it a bit, and the curl will stay.
2. I wash my hair about every 3-4 days. Granted at first this transition was difficult in terms of greasy, oily looking hair. But after about 2-3 weeks, my scalp regulated itself.
3. Finally, I let it dry naturally. I rarely ever use a blow dryer, and I can’t remember the last time I used a curling iron. My curls will bounce back if I twirl them a bit. Actually, the dirtier my hair, the better the waves look.
4. On those days when I just can’t handle the greasy scalp any more I use dry conditioner. I find that some of my second days need a little dry shampoo, but then I can last even a day longer. I use the cheapest one: Suave. It’s only $2.99 in the States. I bring it back with me because that $3 can of wonder costs me about $20 over here. Hmmm, maybe I should sell some of my cans!
5. I cut my hair twice a year. A few summers ago Kate and Mary brought me to their friend in Seattle who does an amazing job cutting longer hair. She recommended that I go once in the summer and once in the winter. So far that’s been working for me.
*My good friend Maureen recommended I try washing my hair with only conditioner as a way of letting my curls look their best. She also only uses conditioner on her hair, and it always looks fabulous, so I gave it a try. It feels so good to embrace my curls rather than fight them.
So, that’s what I do. What about you? Do you do anything with your hair that seems different? If you have wavy or curly hair, would you consider switching to just conditioner?